Join us on Friday, October 13 for an evening with Britain’s greatest mountaineer, Sir Chris Bonington, discussing his life story and his extraordinary six decade career climbing peaks across all continents.
Chris will be discussing his new book Ascent with The Times’ science editor, Tom Whipple, charting his childhood, the start of his love affair with the outdoors and what it takes to fund-raise, organise and then lead major climbing expeditions.
Chris has undertaken nineteen Himalayan expeditions, including four to Mount Everest which he climbed in 1985 at the age of fifty, and has made many first ascents in the Alps and greater ranges of the world. He will be discussing many daring climbs, near-death adventures, and the many luminaries of the mountain fraternity he has climbed with.
Ascent will also shine a light on the personal side of Sir Chris Bonington’s life and career. His wife has recently passed away after a long battle with motor neuron disease and having now spent time grieving a wife of nearly fifty years, Chris now feels ready to write his full memoirs of his life with Wendy, their struggles and triumphs, and, her final battle against a cruel disease she couldn’t beat. His many years of caring for her, and then in his twilight years finding love again amidst the sadness and grief is a truly inspirational tale.
Copies of Ascent, released in hardback on October 19, will be available to purchase at the event and guests will also have the opportunity to meet Chris and get their books signed at the end of the evening.
To book tickets, click on 'book online' in the information box.
Please note, you will need to be logged in to see the booking button.
- Tickets are subject to availability. Places available on first come first served basis. Booking paid in advance and non-refundable.
- Tickets cannot be resold at a price higher than the face value printed upon them and must not be resold for commercial gain whether to ticket retailers, agents, web companies, ticket touts or otherwise.
- Tickets cost £20.
- Full payment on booking.
- Tickets will be assigned on a first come first served basis only.
- Travel to and from the venue and other costs not included in the ticket price are the responsibility of the attendees.
- TNL reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify, reschedule or supersede the event or any aspect of the event, including guest speakers, if, in their sole discretion, the event is not capable of being conducted as specified.
- Wherever possible changes will be publicised prior to the event and alternative tickets or refunds provided.
- Other than death or personal injury arising from the acts or omissions of TNL, or their employees, TNL will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of attendance at the event.
- If you require any assistance at our event (such as information about wheelchair access, or if you are hearing or visually impaired) then please email firstname.lastname@example.org