Join us on July 5 for a private view of Howard Hodgkin: Painting India at The Hepworth Wakefield, including a drink on arrival and a curator talk with Eleanor Clayton.
Howard Hodgkin is widely regarded as one of the world’s greatest painters and has been a central figure in contemporary art for over half a century.
Howard Hodgkin: Painting India is the first comprehensive exhibition to explore the enduring influence of India on Hodgkin’s work, a place he returned to almost annually, since his first trip to the country in 1964.
The museum worked closely with Hodgkin before his death this year to put together this extensive exhibition.
Approximately 35 works from the last 50 years will be exhibited, from Hodgkin’s earliest India-inspired paintings of the 1960s through to new works completed in India earlier this year.
The exhibition will offer an insight into Hodgkin’s relationship to India while also revealing the evolution of his pictorial language - from the figurative work of the 1960s through to the dynamic, gestural style of recent years. As a painter of memories and experiences, many of the works capture the artist’s sensory impressions of India - from fierce blazing sunsets to heavy oppressive rains, landscapes and cities he has visited, and portraits of the people he has befriended.
To book tickets, click on 'book online' in the information box.
Please note, you will need to be logged in to see the booking button.
Images: Howard Hodgkin, Over to You, 2015–17, Oil on wood, 24.8 x 31.4cm
Howard Hodgkin, Mrs Acton in Delhi, 1967–71, Oil on canvas, 122 x 148cm
- Tickets are subject to availability. Places available on first come first served basis. Booking paid in advance and non-refundable.
- Tickets cannot be resold at a price higher than the face value printed upon them and must not be resold for commercial gain whether to ticket retailers, agents, web companies, ticket touts or otherwise.
- Tickets cost £5
- Full payment on booking.
- Tickets will be assigned on a first come first served basis only.
- Travel to and from the venue and other costs not included in the ticket price are the responsibility of the attendees.
- TNL reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify, reschedule or supersede the event or any aspect of the event, including guest speakers, if, in their sole discretion, the event is not capable of being conducted as specified.
- Wherever possible changes will be publicised prior to the event and alternative tickets or refunds provided.
- Other than death or personal injury arising from the acts or omissions of TNL, or their employees, TNL will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of attendance at the event.
- If you require any assistance at our event (such as information about wheelchair access, or if you are hearing or visually impaired) then please email email@example.com