Join us on Monday, June 12 at the National Gallery, for an exclusive after-hours view of The Credit Suisse Exhibition: Michelangelo & Sebastiano which received five-stars from The Times.
Explore the extraordinary relationship between two great Italian masters, Michelangelo and Sebastiano del Piombo, who found common ground in the fiercely competitive world of High Renaissance Rome. This is the first major exhibition devoted to exploring this partnership between two great artists of complementary talents and strongly divergent personalities.
Having met in Rome in 1511, as Michelangelo was finishing his decoration of the Sistine Chapel ceiling, Sebastiano and he became friends and began collaborating artistically. Their meeting sparked a remarkable 25-year friendship and partnership; yielding outstanding works of art that neither could have created without the other – against a backdrop of war and religious conflict, but also of great intellectual energy and artistic innovation.
Including several exceptional first-time loans, the exhibition encompasses over sixty works – paintings, sculptures, letters and sketches – produced by Michelangelo and Sebastiano before, during and after their association. Examples of their extensive, intimate correspondence provide unique insight into their personal and creative lives, their concerns, frustrations, and moments of glory.
Exhibition sponsored by Credit Suisse.
Doors will open at 6.30pm with the introductory talk at 6.50pm. Please use the National Gallery Sainsbury Wing Entrance, for information on how to find the National Gallery, check online here.
Entry to the exhibition may be staggered.
To book tickets, click on 'book online' in the information box.
Please note, you will need to be logged in to see the booking button.
Sebastiano del Piombo, The Visitation (detail), 1518-19. Musée du Louvre, Département des Peintures, Paris (357) © RMN-Grand Palais (musée du Louvre) / Hervé Lewandowski
Sebastiano del Piombo, after partial designs by Michelangelo, Lamentation over the Dead Christ (Pietà) (detail), about 1512-16, Museo Civico, Viterbo © Comune di Viterbo
Sebastiano del Piombo incorporating designs by Michelangelo, The Raising of Lazarus (detail), 1517–19 © The National Gallery, London
- Tickets are subject to availability. Places available on first come first served basis. Booking paid in advance and non-refundable.
- Tickets cannot be resold at a price higher than the face value printed upon them and must not be resold for commercial gain whether to ticket retailers, agents, web companies, ticket touts or otherwise.
- Tickets cost £22
- Full payment on booking.
- Tickets will be assigned on a first come first served basis only.
- Travel to and from the venue and other costs not included in the ticket price are the responsibility of the attendees.
- TNL reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify, reschedule or supersede the event or any aspect of the event, including guest speakers, if, in their sole discretion, the event is not capable of being conducted as specified.
- Wherever possible changes will be publicised prior to the event and alternative tickets or refunds provided.
- Other than death or personal injury arising from the acts or omissions of TNL, or their employees, TNL will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of attendance at the event.
- If you require any assistance at our event (such as information about wheelchair access, or if you are hearing or visually impaired) then please email firstname.lastname@example.org