Join us on Tuesday, January 23 at Yorkshire Sculpture Park, Wakefield for an evening with Yorkshire Sculpture Park’s Director of Programme, Clare Lilley, who will introduce you to the work of Alfredo Jaar, one of the world’s most politically engaging and poetic artists.
The Chilean artist addresses human trauma and the politics of image-making, creating visually and emotionally stunning works which can be seen in YSP’s current exhibition The Garden of Good and Evil.
Trained as a filmmaker and subsequently as an architect, Jaar often uses constructed spaces and light to navigate what is seen and what is not.
At YSP, seminal installations have transformed the Underground Gallery and its open-air concourse. The exhibition includes a major new commission of the same name The Garden of Good and Evil (2017), presented in the open air and visible through the glass façade of the gallery. For this special evening viewing, the installation will be gently lit with tea lights and lanterns.
On entering what appears to be a beautiful grove of trees, visitors experience elegantly fabricated steel cells, which reference ‘black sites’, the secret detention facilities operated by the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) around the world.
Lilley will talk about how this important work was realised and its future legacy once the exhibition closes. A work that Jaar has wanted to realise for some years and that YSP is uniquely placed to create, The Garden of Good and Evil is a significant commission for YSP and for the UK.
Welcome drinks will be served from 5.00–5.30pm followed by the talk at 5.45pm and viewing of the exhibition from 6.00pm, event closes at 7pm.
To book tickets, click on 'book online' in the information box.
Please note, you will need to be logged in to see the booking button.
Image: Alfredo Jaar, A Hundred Times Nguyen, 1994. Courtesy the artist, New York and YSP. Photo © Jonty Wilde
- Tickets are subject to availability. Places available on first come first served basis. Booking paid in advance and non-refundable.
- Tickets cannot be resold at a price higher than the face value printed upon them and must not be resold for commercial gain whether to ticket retailers, agents, web companies, ticket touts or otherwise.
- Tickets cost £5
- Full payment on booking.
- Tickets will be assigned on a first come first served basis only.
- Travel to and from the venue and other costs not included in the ticket price are the responsibility of the attendees.
- TNL reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify, reschedule or supersede the event or any aspect of the event, including guest speakers, if, in their sole discretion, the event is not capable of being conducted as specified.
- Wherever possible changes will be publicised prior to the event and alternative tickets or refunds provided.
- Other than death or personal injury arising from the acts or omissions of TNL, or their employees, TNL will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of attendance at the event.
- If you require any assistance at our event (such as information about wheelchair access, or if you are hearing or visually impaired) then please email email@example.com