Claim the first entry in the TLS collection, The Hero by Lee Child, in addition to your free monthly ebook.
In his first work of nonfiction, the creator of the multimillion-selling Jack Reacher series explores the endurance of heroes from Achilles to Bond, showing us how this age-old myth is a fundamental part of what makes us human. He demonstrates how hero stories continue to shape our world – arguing that we need them now more than ever.
From the Stone Age to the Greek Tragedies, from Shakespeare to Robin Hood, we have always had our heroes. The hero is at the centre of formative myths in every culture and persists to this day in world-conquering books, films and TV shows. But why do these characters continue to inspire us, and why are they so central to storytelling?
Scalpel-sharp on the roots of storytelling and enlightening on the history and science of myth, The Hero is essential reading for anyone trying to write or understand fiction. Child teaches us how these stories still shape our minds and behaviour in an increasingly confusing modern world, and with his trademark concision and wit, demonstrates that however civilised we get, we’ll always need heroes.
Lee Child is one of the world’s leading thriller writers. He was born in Coventry, raised in Birmingham, and now lives in New York. It is said one of his novels featuring his hero Jack Reacher is sold somewhere in the world every nine seconds. His books consistently achieve the number-one slot on bestseller lists around the world and have sold over one hundred million copies. Two blockbusting Jack Reacher movies have been made so far. He is the recipient of many awards, most recently the CWA’s Diamond Dagger for a writer of an outstanding body of crime fiction, the International Thriller Writers’ ThrillerMaster, and the Theakstons Old Peculier Outstanding Contribution to Crime Fiction Award.
Please note, you will need to be logged in to redeem this offer
1. Each promotional code provided may be used once and may only be redeemed against the Qualifying Item on or before 11:59 pm on December 29, 2019 ("End Date").
2. This offer may be changed or withdrawn without notice by Amazon Media EU Sarl.
3. This offer has no cash alternative and is not for resale.
4. You must enable 1-Click purchasing and complete your purchase of a Qualifying Item during the Promotional Period in order to receive it for free.
5. Offer only applies to selected Kindle books purchased at Amazon.co.uk. It does not apply to Kindle books purchased from any other website.
6. Subscribers will not be charged for ebooks redeemed through Times+.
7. This promotion is only available to Amazon.co.uk customers located in the UK. Any customer attempting to purchase Kindle eBook downloads from outside the UK will receive an error message. Please note customers located in the UK but attempting to purchase Kindle eBook downloads from a computer with a non-UK IP address will not be able to complete the transaction.
9. The promoter of this promotion is The Times. Participation is subject to the promoter’s terms and conditions for this promotion.
10. This offer is open to UK and Irish subscribers and residents only.