Every month subscribers can download a free ebook. This month is To Catch A King by Charles Spencer.
How did the most wanted man in the country outwit the greatest manhunt in British history?
In January 1649, King Charles I was beheaded in London outside his palace of Whitehall and Britain became a republic. When his eldest son, Charles, returned in 1651 to fight for his throne, he was crushed by the might of Cromwell’s armies at the battle of Worcester.
The next six weeks would form the most memorable and dramatic of Charles’ life. Pursued relentlessly, Charles ran using disguise, deception and relying on grit, fortitude and good luck. He suffered grievously through weeks when his cause seemed hopeless. He hid in an oak tree – an event so fabled that over 400 English pubs are named Royal Oak in commemoration. Less well-known events include his witnessing a village in wild celebrations at the erroneous news of his killing; the ordeal of a medical student wrongly imprisoned because of his similarity in looks; he disguised himself as a servant and as one half of an eloping couple. Once restored to the throne as Charles II, he told the tale of his escapades to Samuel Pepys, who transcribed it all.
In this gripping, action-packed, true adventure story, based on extensive archive material, Charles Spencer, bestselling author of Killers of the King, uses Pepys’s account and many others to retell this epic adventure.
To download the ebook, click on 'download' in the information box and follow the download instructions. Please note, you will need to be logged in to download this ebook.
Subscribers will not be charged for ebooks redeemed through Times+. If it looks like you have been charged please wait 24 hours before contacting us. This is Amazon's way of generating your receipt.
1. Each promotional code provided may be used once and may only be redeemed against the Qualifying Item on or before 11:59 pm on May 31, 2020 ("End Date").
2. This offer may be changed or withdrawn without notice by Amazon Media EU Sarl.
3. This offer has no cash alternative and is not for resale.
4. You must enable 1-Click purchasing and complete your purchase of a Qualifying Item during the Promotional Period in order to receive it for free.
5. Offer only applies to selected Kindle books purchased at Amazon.co.uk. It does not apply to Kindle books purchased from any other website.
6. Subscribers will not be charged for ebooks redeemed through Times+.
7. This promotion is only available to Amazon.co.uk customers located in the UK. Any customer attempting to purchase Kindle eBook downloads from outside the UK will receive an error message. Please note customers located in the UK but attempting to purchase Kindle eBook downloads from a computer with a non-UK IP address will not be able to complete the transaction.
9. The promoter of this promotion is The Times. Participation is subject to the promoter’s terms and conditions for this promotion.
10. This offer is open to UK and Irish subscribers and residents only.