Join us on Monday, May 22 for a private view of From Selfie to Self-Expression, including a drink on arrival and the opportunity to attend a curator talk on the exhibition.
Saatchi Gallery and Huawei have teamed up to present From Selfie to Self-Expression, the world’s first exhibition exploring the history of the selfie from the old masters to the present day, which celebrates the truly creative potential of a form of expression often derided for its inanity.
From Selfie to Self-Expression showcases key artworks, many of which feature interactive, digital and user-generated content, by artists as diverse as Christopher Baker, Rafael Lozano-Hemmer, Juno Calypso, Tracey Emin, Van Gogh, Mohau Modisakeng, Rembrandt, Cindy Sherman, Gavin Turk and Velazquez. Showing alongside examples of many influential artists’ work are selfies that have quickly become icons of the digital era – from the beautiful and sublime to the mad, bad and downright dangerous.
The show also highlights the emerging role of the smartphone as an artistic medium for self-expression through the commissioning of ten exciting young British photographers to create new works using Huawei’s recently launched P10 dual lens smartphone co-engineered with Leica.
Please note that doors to the event will be open from 7.00pm and all guests will have the opportunity to attend a curator talk at an allotted time-slot during the evening. Please see the ticket booking page to choose your preferred time slot.
To book, click on 'book online' in the information box.
Please note, you will need to be logged in to see the booking button.
Juno Calypso, Honeymoon Suite, 2015, Archival Pigment Print, 52 x 102cm, Edition of 5 + 2 AP, Image courtesy of the artist, and TJ Boulting Gallery
Actor Benedict Cumberbatch jumps behind U2 at the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California Courtesy Mike Blake / Reuters
Cindy Sherman, Untitled Film Still #21, 1977 Gelatin silver print, 20.3 x 25.4cm, Courtesy of the artist and Metro Pictures, New York
- Tickets are subject to availability. Places available on first come first served basis. Booking paid in advance and non-refundable.
- Tickets cannot be resold at a price higher than the face value printed upon them and must not be resold for commercial gain whether to ticket retailers, agents, web companies, ticket touts or otherwise.
- Tickets are free
- Full payment on booking.
- Tickets will be assigned on a first come first served basis only.
- Travel to and from the venue and other costs not included in the ticket price are the responsibility of the attendees.
- TNL reserves the right at any time to cancel, modify, reschedule or supersede the event or any aspect of the event, including guest speakers, if, in their sole discretion, the event is not capable of being conducted as specified.
- Wherever possible changes will be publicised prior to the event and alternative tickets or refunds provided.
- Other than death or personal injury arising from the acts or omissions of TNL, or their employees, TNL will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of attendance at the event.
- If you require any assistance at our event (such as information about wheelchair access, or if you are hearing or visually impaired) then please email email@example.com